Patience and Tolerance

Facebook

Comments Box SVG iconsUsed for the like, share, comment, and reaction icons
Cover for National Police Credit Union
NEW EPISODE: Home Inspection Failures

The Mortgage Beat is live with an all-new episode featuring John Aretos, CEO, Police Mortgage, created For First Responders Who Are Second to None!
To hear the episode, please visit: https://policemortgage.com/mortgage-beat-episodes/.

#PoliceMortgage #Mortgage #FirstResponders #LawEnforcement #EverybodyGoesHomeLetsGetHomeTogether

NEW EPISODE: Home Inspection Failures

To hear the episode, please visit: policemortgage.com/mortgage-beat-episodes/.

#PoliceMortgage #mortgage #firstresponders #lawenforcement #everybodygoeshomeletsgethometogether
... See MoreSee Less

16 hours ago
Thank you for 26 years of service!! Enjoy your retirement!!
#HeroImage attachment

Thank you for 26 years of service!! Enjoy your retirement!!
#Hero
... See MoreSee Less

2 days ago
Congratulations and thank you both, K9 Loki Officer Schmidt-Quist! Stay safe!

Congratulations and thank you both, K9 Loki Officer Schmidt-Quist! Stay safe!The Racine Police Department would like to officially welcome K9 Loki and his handler Officer Justin Schmidt-Quist. Officer Schmidt-Quist has served with the Racine Police Department for almost 13 years. Loki is a two and a half year old Belgian Malinois. We would also like to thank S.O.L.E for their donation to purchase Loki. ... See MoreSee Less

2 days ago
Congratulations!! All the best to you both, Officer Glaum! Stay safe!

Congratulations!! All the best to you both, Officer Glaum! Stay safe!The KPD would like to welcome the newest member to the Canine Unit. After two full days of extensive testing, this 14-month-old male Belgian Malinois was selected to join the team. Officer Glaum and this pup will begin their 10-week training at the end of March. Thanks to a sizable donation from a benefit held by the Starlite Club, their team has naming rights to this very handsome boy. If you are interested in donating to the canine unit, naming our next canine, or learning more about the canine unit please contact Lt. Jurgens. We look forward to watching this team develop and progress. ... See MoreSee Less

2 days ago
Congratulations! Thank you. Stay safe!Image attachmentImage attachment+1Image attachment

Congratulations! Thank you. Stay safe! ... See MoreSee Less

2 days ago
Congratulations and thank you!
#Hero

Congratulations and thank you!
#HeroRepresentatives from KidsMatter and the Collaborative Youth Team stopped by the PD earlier this week to present a Kindness Award to one of our officers! Officer Maulding was nominated by a coworker for his extraordinary acts of kindness towards an elderly resident who was struggling after her closest family moved out of state. We are so proud of the extra mile he's gone for this resident and are very grateful that his kindness has been recognized. #kindnesscounts2us
... See MoreSee Less

2 days ago

The Credit Union is honored to welcome the Whiting Police Department (Indiana) into our field of membership. We look forward to serving you and your families. ... See MoreSee Less

4 days ago
Thank you for 23+ years of service!
#Hero

Thank you for 23+ years of service!
#HeroMaster Patrol Officer Stanbery retired from the Stillwater Police Department on January 31, 2024. He served the citizens of Stillwater for 23+ years. He worked as a patrol officer, field training officer, Detective with our Special Projects Unit, Special Operations Teams, Honor Guard, and an investigator with the Drug Task Force. Thank you Master Patrol Officer Stanbery!

#SWO
... See MoreSee Less

4 days ago
Rest in Peace, K9 Kex. We will Never Forget.Image attachmentImage attachment+4Image attachment

Rest in Peace, K9 Kex. We will Never Forget. ... See MoreSee Less

4 days ago
Rest in Peace, K9 Lun and K9 Max. We will Never Forget.Image attachment

Rest in Peace, K9 Lun and K9 Max. We will Never Forget. ... See MoreSee Less

4 days ago
Congratulation! Thank you! Stay safe!Image attachmentImage attachment+1Image attachment

Congratulation! Thank you! Stay safe! ... See MoreSee Less

4 days ago

Division President Jim Bedinger and Vice President Jorge Mendoza are honored to be attending the National FOP’s Leadership Matters, which is being held in Nashville, TN, from February 22 - 24, 2024. ... See MoreSee Less

5 days ago
Great picture!! Congratulations and thank you! Stay safe!

Great picture!! Congratulations and thank you! Stay safe!PPPD is beaming with pride today for long time, former PPPD Cadet & new Orland Park Police Officer Jacquelyn Skender, who was sworn in alongside her mother.

Jackie we are so very very proud of you!!! PPPD's Cadet program is comprised of young people who learn about police-community partnership and provide auxiliary resources in support of policing activities. We often learn more from them, then they from us. It is truly inspiring to support and watch the future leaders of public service excel.
... See MoreSee Less

6 days ago

The Credit Union is honored to welcome the New Franklin Police Department (Ohio) into our field of membership. We look forward to serving you and your families. ... See MoreSee Less

7 days ago
NEW EPISODE: Home Inspections

NEW EPISODE: Home Inspections

To hear the episode, please visit: policemortgage.com/mortgage-beat-episodes/.

... See MoreSee Less

1 week ago
Congratulations! Thank you!

Congratulations! Thank you!008th District officers accepting an appreciation award from our community partners at Sanad Social Services. We appreciate you too! ... See MoreSee Less

1 week ago
We will Never Forget.

We will Never Forget.Members of our OCSO Honor Guard were on hand today to pay our agency’s final respects to 26 year old Florida Highway Patrol Trooper Zachary Fink. He lost his life February 2nd in Port St Lucie during pursuit of a fleeing felon on Interstate 95. Rest in Peace Trooper Fink. 🙏 ... See MoreSee Less

1 week ago
Happy birthday🐾💙!!

Happy birthday🐾💙!!Woodbury City Police Department- NJ. K9 is celebrating birthday. ... See MoreSee Less

1 week ago
We will Never Forget.
#HeroImage attachmentImage attachment+4Image attachment

We will Never Forget.
#Hero
... See MoreSee Less

1 week ago
Our thoughts and prayers are with the Law Enforcement community.

Our thoughts and prayers are with the Law Enforcement community.The Boston Police Department extend our deepest condolences to the family, friends and colleagues of Officer Paul Elmstrand, and Officer Matthew Ruge of the Burnsville Police Department in Minnesota and Firefighter/Paramedic Adam Finseth of the Burnsville Fire Department in Minnesota, who were killed in the line of duty on Sunday, February 18, 2024, as well as another officer who was wounded during this incident and has a long recovery ahead. ... See MoreSee Less

1 week ago

Latest Tweets

Feed Them Social: TikTok Feed not loaded, please add your Access Token from the Gear Icon Tab.

Patience and Tolerance

My dad used to joke that he could never be a doctor because he had no patients.  I deliberately misspelled patience to convey the word play because it is really difficult to tell a joke one dimensionally.

Okay, moving on before you lose patience with me.

Patience is tricky for me.  At best, I am a conditionally patient kind of guy and those conditions are often only known to me.  By this, I mean that I believe that patience isn’t simply practiced, it is also earned.  I will do my best to explain using real life examples, but I am not going to promise that you won’t lose patience with me before I do.  Here goes.

I have patience for student drivers and for kids who have recently obtained their license.  I have no patience at all for people who hold up traffic, driving 20 miles under the speed limit in the fast lane while texting.

I have patience for employees who show up every day ready to learn something new and to challenge themselves.  I have no patience at all for an employee who asks not what he can do for the company, but what the company can do for him.

I have patience for anyone who exerts an earnest effort, but falls short of his or her goal.  I have no patience at all for those who set no goals and demonstrate no ambition, but expect the world anyway.

I have patience when a contractor calls to tell me that he will be late or postponed.  I have no patience at all for the contractor who delays my project with no advanced notice or any explanation.

I have patience for great causes that may take some time to find their way and gain traction even if it means that I spend more time working on behalf of them.  I have no patience at all for poorly thought out, unorganized efforts that go nowhere, but waste time indiscriminately.

Basically, I find that I have all kinds of time for people and causes that are genuine and not so much for those that aren’t.

I look at it like this.  My time has always been precious to me and I am judicious with it accordingly.  For the most part, I have become adept at assessing a person or a cause and then determining with accuracy whether I should be patient and invest some of my time and energy.  I think that skill has helped me to derive more enjoyment from my time than I otherwise would have if I simply offered my patience unconditionally.  I also think that practicing this skill has made me a better decision maker.

In the spirit of full disclosure, however, I can tell you that I am not always patient with myself and I absolutely react too impatiently to certain situations.

I am a horrible handyman, but I still approach every household project as though it will only take a few minutes and when that turns out not to be true, I immediately get frustrated.  Along those same lines, despite having a very limited toolbox, I still somehow expect to always have just the right tool for the job only for my unfounded optimism to turn to instantaneous ire.

I love animals and I full well know that pets are a lot of work yet when our dog is in our backyard for two minutes and somehow comes back to the door filthy, it often is a true test of my patience.

So, I guess what I am saying is that even though the concept of patience is obviously something I have given a lot of thought to and have gone as far as to categorize it, even I can’t fully explain how I apply it.  I think this is because somewhere along the way my patience or lack thereof intertwines with my tolerance.  This then leads to the question of whether a person can be patient, but intolerant or impatient and tolerant at the same time.  I think the answer is yes, which really starts to create some confusion!

Clearly, patience can and often does go hand in hand with tolerance, however, the opposite is far more interesting to think about.  Using my previous example, I am apparently patient with our dog, but intolerant of the mess she creates.  Similarly, I consider myself to not only be tolerant of, but interested in the many varied opinions of the people I interact with on a daily basis, but if one of those persons takes too long to state that opinion I may grow impatient with him.

In these instances, I need to be careful not to convey the wrong message.  I want our dog to know I love her and that she is not in trouble just because she goes out and does what dogs do.  I also need my long-winded acquaintance to know that his opinion is just fine with me even though he may not be as concise as I would like him to be when sharing it.

If I think of myself as patient and tolerant, but my pets and friends don’t receive that message, then the virtue of my patience and tolerance is completely lost because when it comes to matters such as these, the only reality is the perception of those that you care about.  The challenge isn’t to make myself more patient or tolerant.  The challenge is to make sure that I convey whatever level of patience and tolerance I feel in a clear and appropriate way even when I am the only party involved.

I am going to continue to work on my own patience and tolerance and hopefully improve upon it, especially the way in which I convey it to others.  I value self-awareness in others and I need to make sure that I practice it myself.  In my opinion, anyone who comports himself in a manner that indicates he knows who he is, how he portrays himself, and is respectful of others along the way is very likely worth my patience and tolerance.

Scott Arney