Amorphous Self

Facebook

Comments Box SVG iconsUsed for the like, share, comment, and reaction icons
Cover for National Police Credit Union
NEW EPISODE: Home Inspection Failures

The Mortgage Beat is live with an all-new episode featuring John Aretos, CEO, Police Mortgage, created For First Responders Who Are Second to None!
To hear the episode, please visit: https://policemortgage.com/mortgage-beat-episodes/.

#PoliceMortgage #Mortgage #FirstResponders #LawEnforcement #EverybodyGoesHomeLetsGetHomeTogether

NEW EPISODE: Home Inspection Failures

To hear the episode, please visit: policemortgage.com/mortgage-beat-episodes/.

#PoliceMortgage #mortgage #firstresponders #lawenforcement #everybodygoeshomeletsgethometogether
... See MoreSee Less

17 hours ago
Thank you for 26 years of service!! Enjoy your retirement!!
#HeroImage attachment

Thank you for 26 years of service!! Enjoy your retirement!!
#Hero
... See MoreSee Less

2 days ago
Congratulations and thank you both, K9 Loki Officer Schmidt-Quist! Stay safe!

Congratulations and thank you both, K9 Loki Officer Schmidt-Quist! Stay safe!The Racine Police Department would like to officially welcome K9 Loki and his handler Officer Justin Schmidt-Quist. Officer Schmidt-Quist has served with the Racine Police Department for almost 13 years. Loki is a two and a half year old Belgian Malinois. We would also like to thank S.O.L.E for their donation to purchase Loki. ... See MoreSee Less

2 days ago
Congratulations!! All the best to you both, Officer Glaum! Stay safe!

Congratulations!! All the best to you both, Officer Glaum! Stay safe!The KPD would like to welcome the newest member to the Canine Unit. After two full days of extensive testing, this 14-month-old male Belgian Malinois was selected to join the team. Officer Glaum and this pup will begin their 10-week training at the end of March. Thanks to a sizable donation from a benefit held by the Starlite Club, their team has naming rights to this very handsome boy. If you are interested in donating to the canine unit, naming our next canine, or learning more about the canine unit please contact Lt. Jurgens. We look forward to watching this team develop and progress. ... See MoreSee Less

2 days ago
Congratulations! Thank you. Stay safe!Image attachmentImage attachment+1Image attachment

Congratulations! Thank you. Stay safe! ... See MoreSee Less

2 days ago
Congratulations and thank you!
#Hero

Congratulations and thank you!
#HeroRepresentatives from KidsMatter and the Collaborative Youth Team stopped by the PD earlier this week to present a Kindness Award to one of our officers! Officer Maulding was nominated by a coworker for his extraordinary acts of kindness towards an elderly resident who was struggling after her closest family moved out of state. We are so proud of the extra mile he's gone for this resident and are very grateful that his kindness has been recognized. #kindnesscounts2us
... See MoreSee Less

2 days ago

The Credit Union is honored to welcome the Whiting Police Department (Indiana) into our field of membership. We look forward to serving you and your families. ... See MoreSee Less

4 days ago
Thank you for 23+ years of service!
#Hero

Thank you for 23+ years of service!
#HeroMaster Patrol Officer Stanbery retired from the Stillwater Police Department on January 31, 2024. He served the citizens of Stillwater for 23+ years. He worked as a patrol officer, field training officer, Detective with our Special Projects Unit, Special Operations Teams, Honor Guard, and an investigator with the Drug Task Force. Thank you Master Patrol Officer Stanbery!

#SWO
... See MoreSee Less

4 days ago
Rest in Peace, K9 Kex. We will Never Forget.Image attachmentImage attachment+4Image attachment

Rest in Peace, K9 Kex. We will Never Forget. ... See MoreSee Less

4 days ago
Rest in Peace, K9 Lun and K9 Max. We will Never Forget.Image attachment

Rest in Peace, K9 Lun and K9 Max. We will Never Forget. ... See MoreSee Less

4 days ago
Congratulation! Thank you! Stay safe!Image attachmentImage attachment+1Image attachment

Congratulation! Thank you! Stay safe! ... See MoreSee Less

4 days ago

Division President Jim Bedinger and Vice President Jorge Mendoza are honored to be attending the National FOP’s Leadership Matters, which is being held in Nashville, TN, from February 22 - 24, 2024. ... See MoreSee Less

5 days ago
Great picture!! Congratulations and thank you! Stay safe!

Great picture!! Congratulations and thank you! Stay safe!PPPD is beaming with pride today for long time, former PPPD Cadet & new Orland Park Police Officer Jacquelyn Skender, who was sworn in alongside her mother.

Jackie we are so very very proud of you!!! PPPD's Cadet program is comprised of young people who learn about police-community partnership and provide auxiliary resources in support of policing activities. We often learn more from them, then they from us. It is truly inspiring to support and watch the future leaders of public service excel.
... See MoreSee Less

6 days ago

The Credit Union is honored to welcome the New Franklin Police Department (Ohio) into our field of membership. We look forward to serving you and your families. ... See MoreSee Less

7 days ago
NEW EPISODE: Home Inspections

NEW EPISODE: Home Inspections

To hear the episode, please visit: policemortgage.com/mortgage-beat-episodes/.

... See MoreSee Less

1 week ago
Congratulations! Thank you!

Congratulations! Thank you!008th District officers accepting an appreciation award from our community partners at Sanad Social Services. We appreciate you too! ... See MoreSee Less

1 week ago
We will Never Forget.

We will Never Forget.Members of our OCSO Honor Guard were on hand today to pay our agency’s final respects to 26 year old Florida Highway Patrol Trooper Zachary Fink. He lost his life February 2nd in Port St Lucie during pursuit of a fleeing felon on Interstate 95. Rest in Peace Trooper Fink. 🙏 ... See MoreSee Less

1 week ago
Happy birthday🐾💙!!

Happy birthday🐾💙!!Woodbury City Police Department- NJ. K9 is celebrating birthday. ... See MoreSee Less

1 week ago
We will Never Forget.
#HeroImage attachmentImage attachment+4Image attachment

We will Never Forget.
#Hero
... See MoreSee Less

1 week ago
Our thoughts and prayers are with the Law Enforcement community.

Our thoughts and prayers are with the Law Enforcement community.The Boston Police Department extend our deepest condolences to the family, friends and colleagues of Officer Paul Elmstrand, and Officer Matthew Ruge of the Burnsville Police Department in Minnesota and Firefighter/Paramedic Adam Finseth of the Burnsville Fire Department in Minnesota, who were killed in the line of duty on Sunday, February 18, 2024, as well as another officer who was wounded during this incident and has a long recovery ahead. ... See MoreSee Less

1 week ago

Latest Tweets

Feed Them Social: TikTok Feed not loaded, please add your Access Token from the Gear Icon Tab.

Amorphous Self

I believe in structure.  In my opinion, structured thinking leads to sound decision making.  Well-constructed, structured policies provide needed guidance to an organization and the structure in a well-run organization is clearly defined.

I think that kids benefit from structure.  Parents who clearly state expectations and lead by example will typically raise polite, well-behaved children.  Even most adults act efficiently and purposefully when they understand their role and the boundaries they are operating within.

For my part, I think I do a reasonably good job at exercising self-discipline.  I have tried to understand my role as a parent and a business leader and worked to not only define those roles, but to define my thought processes and related decision making.

When I was younger, I really believed that the more predictably consistent I was, the better example I would set for my kids and my employees.  I figured that if I could define myself by my actions and my words, everyone around me would always know where they stood and what I thought and, over time, they would know those things without me necessarily needing to express them every day.

I still think those qualities are very important and a big part of my role as a parent and a leader, but as I have gotten older, I have realized how important it has been for me to be open to new ideas, different thoughts, and altogether different ways of doing things.

I was so determined to define myself, to identify a parenting and management style, that I had not considered the possibility that too much definition could lead to rigidity in decision making and possibly even the conveyance of being closed minded and too set in my ways.

Admittedly, the realization that I had to be willing to open up my well defined, structured thinking as a parent and a leader and create room for alternative views and adjustments to my thought processes did cause some anxiety for me.

I asked myself a lot of questions and, sometimes, still do.  Was I being true to myself ?  Would changing my mind or my course of action mean that I was changing who I was?  Would I appear to be indecisive or weak if I didn’t already know exactly what I was going to do when a situation arose or a problem was presented?

With the qualifier that I am still focused on improving myself every day, which means that everything is a work in progress, I have found that once I made room in my decision making for my amorphous self, I liberated my structured self and my structured self is actually stronger and more capable with my amorphous self as a partner.

Structured thinking and actions are actually stronger when they are paired with a willingness to consider alternative methods and new approaches.  Strong decision making is reliant on a defined base and a resilient foundation, sometimes referred to as your core beliefs.  Those beliefs are often directly correlated to your mental and emotional well being and, as such, not very likely to change.

As I have discovered, however, there is still ample room for a variable element in your critical thinking and it is necessary to work on that aspect if you are going to relate and adjust to those around you, especially if those around you are increasingly younger than you are.

I like to have a plan.  It helps me to feel that I have some control over what is happening and that I am, in some way, directing actions and decisions in a beneficial way.  I also like to learn new things, meet new people, and engage in meaningful conversations and none of those things would be possible to any real degree if I was unwilling to unleash my amorphous self.  The older your kids get and the more employees and colleagues you have, the truer this is.

For me, the skill I needed to work on the most to best combine these two selves was my listening.  It used to be more important for me to be heard and I think that reflected my drive to define and consistently demonstrate my way of thinking.  Over time, I have realized how much more I can learn simply by listening.  Additionally, listening does not in any way violate my core beliefs.  It doesn’t cost me anything, but time, and I have found that it has been time well spent.

Another thing that I have taught myself to do is to not fast forward to a conclusion after only gathering a few bits of information.  For example, I used to fool myself into thinking I had read the news by simply skimming over the headlines.  Today, I not only take the time to read the associated article, I seek out headlines and articles that I think I will be completely opposed to or had previously excluded myself from.

Embracing my amorphous self and allowing it to co-exist with my structured self has made me a better decision maker and hopefully, a more effective parent and leader.

Now, the challenge for me is finding the right balance between my structured, disciplined thoughts and my willingness to change, adjust, and implement new thoughts.  I’m still working on this.  Some situations require me to be very firm and others require a free-spirited approach.  I’m still better in the moments that need a structured firmness, but I found my life to also be a little more exciting when I don’t always know what I am going to say or do.

I can’t tell you what the exact right balance is here, that is for you to figure out.  I’m guessing the mix or balance of these two selves varies from person to person.  I can tell you that the best decision makers understand these concepts and are working on not only finding that balance, but improving their structured self as well as their amorphous self.

Scott Arney
Chief Executive Officer
Chicago Patrolmen’s Federal Credit Union

Author’s Note:  I am not certain if I am using amorphous correctly here.  I recently came across this word, looked it up, thought it was cool, and felt that it directly applied to what I wanted to express in this article.