Do You Have the Right Tools?

Facebook

Comments Box SVG iconsUsed for the like, share, comment, and reaction icons
Cover for National Police Credit Union
NEW EPISODE: Home Inspection Failures

The Mortgage Beat is live with an all-new episode featuring John Aretos, CEO, Police Mortgage, created For First Responders Who Are Second to None!
To hear the episode, please visit: https://policemortgage.com/mortgage-beat-episodes/.

#PoliceMortgage #Mortgage #FirstResponders #LawEnforcement #EverybodyGoesHomeLetsGetHomeTogether

NEW EPISODE: Home Inspection Failures

To hear the episode, please visit: policemortgage.com/mortgage-beat-episodes/.

#PoliceMortgage #mortgage #firstresponders #lawenforcement #everybodygoeshomeletsgethometogether
... See MoreSee Less

16 hours ago
Thank you for 26 years of service!! Enjoy your retirement!!
#HeroImage attachment

Thank you for 26 years of service!! Enjoy your retirement!!
#Hero
... See MoreSee Less

2 days ago
Congratulations and thank you both, K9 Loki Officer Schmidt-Quist! Stay safe!

Congratulations and thank you both, K9 Loki Officer Schmidt-Quist! Stay safe!The Racine Police Department would like to officially welcome K9 Loki and his handler Officer Justin Schmidt-Quist. Officer Schmidt-Quist has served with the Racine Police Department for almost 13 years. Loki is a two and a half year old Belgian Malinois. We would also like to thank S.O.L.E for their donation to purchase Loki. ... See MoreSee Less

2 days ago
Congratulations!! All the best to you both, Officer Glaum! Stay safe!

Congratulations!! All the best to you both, Officer Glaum! Stay safe!The KPD would like to welcome the newest member to the Canine Unit. After two full days of extensive testing, this 14-month-old male Belgian Malinois was selected to join the team. Officer Glaum and this pup will begin their 10-week training at the end of March. Thanks to a sizable donation from a benefit held by the Starlite Club, their team has naming rights to this very handsome boy. If you are interested in donating to the canine unit, naming our next canine, or learning more about the canine unit please contact Lt. Jurgens. We look forward to watching this team develop and progress. ... See MoreSee Less

2 days ago
Congratulations! Thank you. Stay safe!Image attachmentImage attachment+1Image attachment

Congratulations! Thank you. Stay safe! ... See MoreSee Less

2 days ago
Congratulations and thank you!
#Hero

Congratulations and thank you!
#HeroRepresentatives from KidsMatter and the Collaborative Youth Team stopped by the PD earlier this week to present a Kindness Award to one of our officers! Officer Maulding was nominated by a coworker for his extraordinary acts of kindness towards an elderly resident who was struggling after her closest family moved out of state. We are so proud of the extra mile he's gone for this resident and are very grateful that his kindness has been recognized. #kindnesscounts2us
... See MoreSee Less

2 days ago

The Credit Union is honored to welcome the Whiting Police Department (Indiana) into our field of membership. We look forward to serving you and your families. ... See MoreSee Less

4 days ago
Thank you for 23+ years of service!
#Hero

Thank you for 23+ years of service!
#HeroMaster Patrol Officer Stanbery retired from the Stillwater Police Department on January 31, 2024. He served the citizens of Stillwater for 23+ years. He worked as a patrol officer, field training officer, Detective with our Special Projects Unit, Special Operations Teams, Honor Guard, and an investigator with the Drug Task Force. Thank you Master Patrol Officer Stanbery!

#SWO
... See MoreSee Less

4 days ago
Rest in Peace, K9 Kex. We will Never Forget.Image attachmentImage attachment+4Image attachment

Rest in Peace, K9 Kex. We will Never Forget. ... See MoreSee Less

4 days ago
Rest in Peace, K9 Lun and K9 Max. We will Never Forget.Image attachment

Rest in Peace, K9 Lun and K9 Max. We will Never Forget. ... See MoreSee Less

4 days ago
Congratulation! Thank you! Stay safe!Image attachmentImage attachment+1Image attachment

Congratulation! Thank you! Stay safe! ... See MoreSee Less

4 days ago

Division President Jim Bedinger and Vice President Jorge Mendoza are honored to be attending the National FOP’s Leadership Matters, which is being held in Nashville, TN, from February 22 - 24, 2024. ... See MoreSee Less

5 days ago
Great picture!! Congratulations and thank you! Stay safe!

Great picture!! Congratulations and thank you! Stay safe!PPPD is beaming with pride today for long time, former PPPD Cadet & new Orland Park Police Officer Jacquelyn Skender, who was sworn in alongside her mother.

Jackie we are so very very proud of you!!! PPPD's Cadet program is comprised of young people who learn about police-community partnership and provide auxiliary resources in support of policing activities. We often learn more from them, then they from us. It is truly inspiring to support and watch the future leaders of public service excel.
... See MoreSee Less

6 days ago

The Credit Union is honored to welcome the New Franklin Police Department (Ohio) into our field of membership. We look forward to serving you and your families. ... See MoreSee Less

7 days ago
NEW EPISODE: Home Inspections

NEW EPISODE: Home Inspections

To hear the episode, please visit: policemortgage.com/mortgage-beat-episodes/.

... See MoreSee Less

1 week ago
Congratulations! Thank you!

Congratulations! Thank you!008th District officers accepting an appreciation award from our community partners at Sanad Social Services. We appreciate you too! ... See MoreSee Less

1 week ago
We will Never Forget.

We will Never Forget.Members of our OCSO Honor Guard were on hand today to pay our agency’s final respects to 26 year old Florida Highway Patrol Trooper Zachary Fink. He lost his life February 2nd in Port St Lucie during pursuit of a fleeing felon on Interstate 95. Rest in Peace Trooper Fink. 🙏 ... See MoreSee Less

1 week ago
Happy birthday🐾💙!!

Happy birthday🐾💙!!Woodbury City Police Department- NJ. K9 is celebrating birthday. ... See MoreSee Less

1 week ago
We will Never Forget.
#HeroImage attachmentImage attachment+4Image attachment

We will Never Forget.
#Hero
... See MoreSee Less

1 week ago
Our thoughts and prayers are with the Law Enforcement community.

Our thoughts and prayers are with the Law Enforcement community.The Boston Police Department extend our deepest condolences to the family, friends and colleagues of Officer Paul Elmstrand, and Officer Matthew Ruge of the Burnsville Police Department in Minnesota and Firefighter/Paramedic Adam Finseth of the Burnsville Fire Department in Minnesota, who were killed in the line of duty on Sunday, February 18, 2024, as well as another officer who was wounded during this incident and has a long recovery ahead. ... See MoreSee Less

1 week ago

Latest Tweets

Feed Them Social: TikTok Feed not loaded, please add your Access Token from the Gear Icon Tab.

Do You Have the Right Tools?

I am not much of a handyman. I know some skilled carpenters and some gifted mechanics, and I am neither of those things. My skills are limited to being able to fix grills and toilets. Sort of a weird combination, and I am not sure how I developed those skills and so little else as a handyman, but at least I’ve discovered my unique niche.

I am, however, a maximum effort person. You need some old-fashioned manual labor, someone to demolish a room before it gets redone or a person to perform virtually any type of landscaping, I’m your guy.

Anyway, I was recently thinking about my limited handyman skills, and the effort I am willing to put forth regardless of those limited skills, when I was looking through my toolbox and being disappointed, once again, to discover that I did not have the tools I needed for the task I was working on.

Whether I am attempting to work on something around the house, answer a tough parent related question, or put an efficient strategy together at work, I often first think about what I don’t know or cannot do on my own. Sometimes, this causes me to focus more on my shortcomings and, if I’m not careful, I can get a little down on myself.

I push through these thoughts by being determined to use what I don’t know or can’t do by myself as a positive part of my decision making. It is realistic and healthy to be aware of what you don’t know because that realization leads to an opportunity for you to learn and grow. If you know what you don’t know, the next logical question is what you are going to do about it?

My progression through these thoughts and questions leads me to the tools that I need to get the job done. Using my example of a task I am trying to complete at home, my toolbox is limited, and I will very likely have to figure out not only what tools I need, but where I am going to find them and how to use them. Expanding this example to the work that I do as part of my career, however, leads me to a much broader definition of the tools that are available to me.

I am certainly more knowledgeable and capable in my career work than I am in the work I try to accomplish around the house. Yes, I have taken more time learning about my work and developing my expertise than I have as a handyman. Yes, I am more motivated by the work I do for my career and my skill set is better suited for my career work. It is how I make a living and provide for my family, which is about all the motivation I need to do everything I can to maximize the value of my career work and related effort.

All of that is true, but it only gets me part of the way toward the level of success I need to regularly achieve to excel in my career. It’s the tools that I have access to and have learned how to use that help me to continue to grow and learn and excel.

Fortunately, I learned early on that I would need to rely on a diverse, broad set of tools to get to where I wanted to be. I figured out that quality leadership is much more about an ability to identify strong resources and great people than it is about becoming an expert in every aspect of the organization you want to lead. That becomes even more true, the larger the organization is and the more complex your objectives are.

As a handyman, what I can accomplish is limited by my lack of expertise and the tools I have on hand. In my career, and as a leader, my knowledge of what I don’t know leads me to an unlimited set of tools as defined by business partners who are experts in their fields, employees who are dedicated to a cause greater than themselves, robust information technology, sound policies, best practices…the list goes on and on!

I am a reliable manual laborer because I am willing to put forth a strong effort and my effort is something that I have 100% control over. I am every bit as determined to maximize my effort in my career, but my individual effort as a leader will only get me so far. The goals that I set and the objectives we have as an organization require a collaborative effort by everyone on the team, of which my direct role is a small part.

The point is this. Regardless of the task at hand, big or small, the right tools exist, and it is up to you to determine what tools you need and how you will procure them.

The first step to take toward ensuring you have the right tools is to stop judging your success based on what you can do on your own. Embrace the idea that your knowledge and effort are important aspects of completing the job at hand, but don’t limit the extent of your accomplishment to those things. It is equally important to embrace what you don’t know and what you are not capable of doing on your own with an open mind and a willingness to identify and find the tools you need to complete more tasks and achieve greater success.

My experience has taught me that there is a direct correlation to broader, more sustainable success when you are able to achieve your own balance of your knowledge and effort with who and what you can work with to get to where you ultimately want to be as a leader, parent, friend, or team member.

The more you commit to learning and growing as a person, the stronger you will be. The more you surround yourself with skilled professionals, subject matter experts, capable technology, and sound decision makers, also known collectively as the right tools, the more you will accomplish.

So, what don’t you know and what tools do you need to figure it out?

Scott Arney