The Dandelion Field

Facebook

Comments Box SVG iconsUsed for the like, share, comment, and reaction icons
Cover for National Police Credit Union
NEW EPISODE: Home Inspection Failures

The Mortgage Beat is live with an all-new episode featuring John Aretos, CEO, Police Mortgage, created For First Responders Who Are Second to None!
To hear the episode, please visit: https://policemortgage.com/mortgage-beat-episodes/.

#PoliceMortgage #Mortgage #FirstResponders #LawEnforcement #EverybodyGoesHomeLetsGetHomeTogether

NEW EPISODE: Home Inspection Failures

To hear the episode, please visit: policemortgage.com/mortgage-beat-episodes/.

#PoliceMortgage #mortgage #firstresponders #lawenforcement #everybodygoeshomeletsgethometogether
... See MoreSee Less

18 hours ago
Thank you for 26 years of service!! Enjoy your retirement!!
#HeroImage attachment

Thank you for 26 years of service!! Enjoy your retirement!!
#Hero
... See MoreSee Less

2 days ago
Congratulations and thank you both, K9 Loki Officer Schmidt-Quist! Stay safe!

Congratulations and thank you both, K9 Loki Officer Schmidt-Quist! Stay safe!The Racine Police Department would like to officially welcome K9 Loki and his handler Officer Justin Schmidt-Quist. Officer Schmidt-Quist has served with the Racine Police Department for almost 13 years. Loki is a two and a half year old Belgian Malinois. We would also like to thank S.O.L.E for their donation to purchase Loki. ... See MoreSee Less

2 days ago
Congratulations!! All the best to you both, Officer Glaum! Stay safe!

Congratulations!! All the best to you both, Officer Glaum! Stay safe!The KPD would like to welcome the newest member to the Canine Unit. After two full days of extensive testing, this 14-month-old male Belgian Malinois was selected to join the team. Officer Glaum and this pup will begin their 10-week training at the end of March. Thanks to a sizable donation from a benefit held by the Starlite Club, their team has naming rights to this very handsome boy. If you are interested in donating to the canine unit, naming our next canine, or learning more about the canine unit please contact Lt. Jurgens. We look forward to watching this team develop and progress. ... See MoreSee Less

2 days ago
Congratulations! Thank you. Stay safe!Image attachmentImage attachment+1Image attachment

Congratulations! Thank you. Stay safe! ... See MoreSee Less

2 days ago
Congratulations and thank you!
#Hero

Congratulations and thank you!
#HeroRepresentatives from KidsMatter and the Collaborative Youth Team stopped by the PD earlier this week to present a Kindness Award to one of our officers! Officer Maulding was nominated by a coworker for his extraordinary acts of kindness towards an elderly resident who was struggling after her closest family moved out of state. We are so proud of the extra mile he's gone for this resident and are very grateful that his kindness has been recognized. #kindnesscounts2us
... See MoreSee Less

2 days ago

The Credit Union is honored to welcome the Whiting Police Department (Indiana) into our field of membership. We look forward to serving you and your families. ... See MoreSee Less

4 days ago
Thank you for 23+ years of service!
#Hero

Thank you for 23+ years of service!
#HeroMaster Patrol Officer Stanbery retired from the Stillwater Police Department on January 31, 2024. He served the citizens of Stillwater for 23+ years. He worked as a patrol officer, field training officer, Detective with our Special Projects Unit, Special Operations Teams, Honor Guard, and an investigator with the Drug Task Force. Thank you Master Patrol Officer Stanbery!

#SWO
... See MoreSee Less

4 days ago
Rest in Peace, K9 Kex. We will Never Forget.Image attachmentImage attachment+4Image attachment

Rest in Peace, K9 Kex. We will Never Forget. ... See MoreSee Less

4 days ago
Rest in Peace, K9 Lun and K9 Max. We will Never Forget.Image attachment

Rest in Peace, K9 Lun and K9 Max. We will Never Forget. ... See MoreSee Less

4 days ago
Congratulation! Thank you! Stay safe!Image attachmentImage attachment+1Image attachment

Congratulation! Thank you! Stay safe! ... See MoreSee Less

4 days ago

Division President Jim Bedinger and Vice President Jorge Mendoza are honored to be attending the National FOP’s Leadership Matters, which is being held in Nashville, TN, from February 22 - 24, 2024. ... See MoreSee Less

5 days ago
Great picture!! Congratulations and thank you! Stay safe!

Great picture!! Congratulations and thank you! Stay safe!PPPD is beaming with pride today for long time, former PPPD Cadet & new Orland Park Police Officer Jacquelyn Skender, who was sworn in alongside her mother.

Jackie we are so very very proud of you!!! PPPD's Cadet program is comprised of young people who learn about police-community partnership and provide auxiliary resources in support of policing activities. We often learn more from them, then they from us. It is truly inspiring to support and watch the future leaders of public service excel.
... See MoreSee Less

6 days ago

The Credit Union is honored to welcome the New Franklin Police Department (Ohio) into our field of membership. We look forward to serving you and your families. ... See MoreSee Less

7 days ago
NEW EPISODE: Home Inspections

NEW EPISODE: Home Inspections

To hear the episode, please visit: policemortgage.com/mortgage-beat-episodes/.

... See MoreSee Less

1 week ago
Congratulations! Thank you!

Congratulations! Thank you!008th District officers accepting an appreciation award from our community partners at Sanad Social Services. We appreciate you too! ... See MoreSee Less

1 week ago
We will Never Forget.

We will Never Forget.Members of our OCSO Honor Guard were on hand today to pay our agency’s final respects to 26 year old Florida Highway Patrol Trooper Zachary Fink. He lost his life February 2nd in Port St Lucie during pursuit of a fleeing felon on Interstate 95. Rest in Peace Trooper Fink. 🙏 ... See MoreSee Less

1 week ago
Happy birthday🐾💙!!

Happy birthday🐾💙!!Woodbury City Police Department- NJ. K9 is celebrating birthday. ... See MoreSee Less

1 week ago
We will Never Forget.
#HeroImage attachmentImage attachment+4Image attachment

We will Never Forget.
#Hero
... See MoreSee Less

1 week ago
Our thoughts and prayers are with the Law Enforcement community.

Our thoughts and prayers are with the Law Enforcement community.The Boston Police Department extend our deepest condolences to the family, friends and colleagues of Officer Paul Elmstrand, and Officer Matthew Ruge of the Burnsville Police Department in Minnesota and Firefighter/Paramedic Adam Finseth of the Burnsville Fire Department in Minnesota, who were killed in the line of duty on Sunday, February 18, 2024, as well as another officer who was wounded during this incident and has a long recovery ahead. ... See MoreSee Less

1 week ago

Latest Tweets

Feed Them Social: TikTok Feed not loaded, please add your Access Token from the Gear Icon Tab.

The Dandelion Field

The summer after I turned 10 I decided it was time to go to work. I was on the swim team so the first place I sought employment was at the pool where I was already spending a lot of time.

To this day, I haven’t decided whether the manager of the pool was rewarding me for wanting to work at an early age or taking advantage of my youthful exuberance for laugh at my expense. Whatever the motive, he gave me a job.

The pool was part of a larger park district complex on about seven acres. The undeveloped land consisted of a field overgrown with thousands, maybe tens of thousands of dandelions. My job was to weed the field by hand.

I think I could be forgiven for questioning the value of the task. I distinctly remember looking at the field and being overwhelmed. I wondered to start and how long it would take to finish, if ever.

Additionally, I had second thoughts about my desire to work, especially when I saw my friends having in the pool, but for a few days each week, between swim practice and baseball games, I would pick as many dandelions as I could.

Being that it was my first job and not skilled in the ways of horticulture, I am certain that I was neither efficient nor effective. I recently learned that one dandelion head produces about 15,000 spores, which explains why it often felt I was making no progress despite my considerable effort.

Over time, I developed a routine. I would designate an area for clearing and work on that area. If I had 1 hour of work to do that day, the area would be small. If I had three hours, the area would be bigger, but I would only work on that area for a specific amount of time. As days progressed, and dandelions would creep back into the cleared areas, I’d weed those areas first before starting a different part of the field. On I toiled through the summer.

All these years later, I don’t have a clear memory of what the field looked like when the summer was over and school started. I do remember, however, that I worked for 63 hours that summer and that the field had a lot less dandelions in it than it did when I started working on it.

I also remember exactly how much I made for my efforts…$63. That’s right, my pay was $1 an hour.

Recently, I was reminded of this when I scanned my landscape before mowing the lawn. Our yard had more yellow than green. Having flashbacks I attacked our lawn pulling dandelions one at a time just as I had years ago. It occurred to me that many of the lessons I learned then are still applicable in my work today.

The benefits of hard work aren’t often realized immediately, but it is important to work hard anyway. There were days when it was difficult for me to tell whether or not I had made progress in my battle against the pretty yellow weeds, but I persisted. The same could be said for starting a savings plan or beginning a fulfilling work career. You will not immediately achieve your goals during the first few days of either one of these endeavors, but you must press on because starting a savings plan and beginning a career are the most important steps you can take toward achieving your goals.

Just as new dandelions would rise up on a spot that I cleared the day before, sometimes one problem is solved and several more crop up. Life is like that and incorporating that into your planning; the more likely you will be to achieve your goals. You cannot allow plans to be derailed the first time an obstacle arises. Unanticipated challenges are normal.

Many problems can seem insurmountable if you only view them in their entirety. The road may appear too long and the journey too treacherous, but breaking problems into smaller parts makes them instantly more manageable. When I first looked at 7 acres of dandelions, the task seemed impossible. When I compartmentalized my job, working one area at a time, the task became much easier.

I’d like to say the money I earned that year was a lot of money even though it doesn’t seem like much now. The truth is $63 wasn’t much then either. I didn’t make enough to buy a new bike or anything else I really wanted at the time, but the experience was more valuable than anything I could have purchased. I experienced the satisfaction of earning my own money; a feeling I have strived to keep achieving ever since.

The value of a dollar earned is far greater than any monetary number assigned to it and it grows throughout your life. Earning my own money helped me establish independence and decision-making skills. Now that I have my own family, providing for them through my work is one of the most rewarding aspects of my life; a continual source of pride.

There are many days driving home from work I ask myself whether or not what I did that summer made a difference. Sometimes, no matter how hard you try or what your intentions are, you feel like you’re standing in the middle of a dandelion field with no hope of making a dent in the task at hand. I now realize the only way to answer that question is to relate it back to you. In other words, if I try to determine if my work mattered to someone else or something else, the answer is subject to variables and factors that I cannot control.

If the work I have done or am doing matters to me, the value gained from doing the work is priceless no matter your age or station in life.

Scott Arney