Stirred Not Shaken

Facebook

Comments Box SVG iconsUsed for the like, share, comment, and reaction icons
Cover for National Police Credit Union
NEW EPISODE: Home Inspection Failures

The Mortgage Beat is live with an all-new episode featuring John Aretos, CEO, Police Mortgage, created For First Responders Who Are Second to None!
To hear the episode, please visit: https://policemortgage.com/mortgage-beat-episodes/.

#PoliceMortgage #Mortgage #FirstResponders #LawEnforcement #EverybodyGoesHomeLetsGetHomeTogether

NEW EPISODE: Home Inspection Failures

To hear the episode, please visit: policemortgage.com/mortgage-beat-episodes/.

#PoliceMortgage #mortgage #firstresponders #lawenforcement #everybodygoeshomeletsgethometogether
... See MoreSee Less

17 hours ago
Thank you for 26 years of service!! Enjoy your retirement!!
#HeroImage attachment

Thank you for 26 years of service!! Enjoy your retirement!!
#Hero
... See MoreSee Less

2 days ago
Congratulations and thank you both, K9 Loki Officer Schmidt-Quist! Stay safe!

Congratulations and thank you both, K9 Loki Officer Schmidt-Quist! Stay safe!The Racine Police Department would like to officially welcome K9 Loki and his handler Officer Justin Schmidt-Quist. Officer Schmidt-Quist has served with the Racine Police Department for almost 13 years. Loki is a two and a half year old Belgian Malinois. We would also like to thank S.O.L.E for their donation to purchase Loki. ... See MoreSee Less

2 days ago
Congratulations!! All the best to you both, Officer Glaum! Stay safe!

Congratulations!! All the best to you both, Officer Glaum! Stay safe!The KPD would like to welcome the newest member to the Canine Unit. After two full days of extensive testing, this 14-month-old male Belgian Malinois was selected to join the team. Officer Glaum and this pup will begin their 10-week training at the end of March. Thanks to a sizable donation from a benefit held by the Starlite Club, their team has naming rights to this very handsome boy. If you are interested in donating to the canine unit, naming our next canine, or learning more about the canine unit please contact Lt. Jurgens. We look forward to watching this team develop and progress. ... See MoreSee Less

2 days ago
Congratulations! Thank you. Stay safe!Image attachmentImage attachment+1Image attachment

Congratulations! Thank you. Stay safe! ... See MoreSee Less

2 days ago
Congratulations and thank you!
#Hero

Congratulations and thank you!
#HeroRepresentatives from KidsMatter and the Collaborative Youth Team stopped by the PD earlier this week to present a Kindness Award to one of our officers! Officer Maulding was nominated by a coworker for his extraordinary acts of kindness towards an elderly resident who was struggling after her closest family moved out of state. We are so proud of the extra mile he's gone for this resident and are very grateful that his kindness has been recognized. #kindnesscounts2us
... See MoreSee Less

2 days ago

The Credit Union is honored to welcome the Whiting Police Department (Indiana) into our field of membership. We look forward to serving you and your families. ... See MoreSee Less

4 days ago
Thank you for 23+ years of service!
#Hero

Thank you for 23+ years of service!
#HeroMaster Patrol Officer Stanbery retired from the Stillwater Police Department on January 31, 2024. He served the citizens of Stillwater for 23+ years. He worked as a patrol officer, field training officer, Detective with our Special Projects Unit, Special Operations Teams, Honor Guard, and an investigator with the Drug Task Force. Thank you Master Patrol Officer Stanbery!

#SWO
... See MoreSee Less

4 days ago
Rest in Peace, K9 Kex. We will Never Forget.Image attachmentImage attachment+4Image attachment

Rest in Peace, K9 Kex. We will Never Forget. ... See MoreSee Less

4 days ago
Rest in Peace, K9 Lun and K9 Max. We will Never Forget.Image attachment

Rest in Peace, K9 Lun and K9 Max. We will Never Forget. ... See MoreSee Less

4 days ago
Congratulation! Thank you! Stay safe!Image attachmentImage attachment+1Image attachment

Congratulation! Thank you! Stay safe! ... See MoreSee Less

4 days ago

Division President Jim Bedinger and Vice President Jorge Mendoza are honored to be attending the National FOP’s Leadership Matters, which is being held in Nashville, TN, from February 22 - 24, 2024. ... See MoreSee Less

5 days ago
Great picture!! Congratulations and thank you! Stay safe!

Great picture!! Congratulations and thank you! Stay safe!PPPD is beaming with pride today for long time, former PPPD Cadet & new Orland Park Police Officer Jacquelyn Skender, who was sworn in alongside her mother.

Jackie we are so very very proud of you!!! PPPD's Cadet program is comprised of young people who learn about police-community partnership and provide auxiliary resources in support of policing activities. We often learn more from them, then they from us. It is truly inspiring to support and watch the future leaders of public service excel.
... See MoreSee Less

6 days ago

The Credit Union is honored to welcome the New Franklin Police Department (Ohio) into our field of membership. We look forward to serving you and your families. ... See MoreSee Less

7 days ago
NEW EPISODE: Home Inspections

NEW EPISODE: Home Inspections

To hear the episode, please visit: policemortgage.com/mortgage-beat-episodes/.

... See MoreSee Less

1 week ago
Congratulations! Thank you!

Congratulations! Thank you!008th District officers accepting an appreciation award from our community partners at Sanad Social Services. We appreciate you too! ... See MoreSee Less

1 week ago
We will Never Forget.

We will Never Forget.Members of our OCSO Honor Guard were on hand today to pay our agency’s final respects to 26 year old Florida Highway Patrol Trooper Zachary Fink. He lost his life February 2nd in Port St Lucie during pursuit of a fleeing felon on Interstate 95. Rest in Peace Trooper Fink. 🙏 ... See MoreSee Less

1 week ago
Happy birthday🐾💙!!

Happy birthday🐾💙!!Woodbury City Police Department- NJ. K9 is celebrating birthday. ... See MoreSee Less

1 week ago
We will Never Forget.
#HeroImage attachmentImage attachment+4Image attachment

We will Never Forget.
#Hero
... See MoreSee Less

1 week ago
Our thoughts and prayers are with the Law Enforcement community.

Our thoughts and prayers are with the Law Enforcement community.The Boston Police Department extend our deepest condolences to the family, friends and colleagues of Officer Paul Elmstrand, and Officer Matthew Ruge of the Burnsville Police Department in Minnesota and Firefighter/Paramedic Adam Finseth of the Burnsville Fire Department in Minnesota, who were killed in the line of duty on Sunday, February 18, 2024, as well as another officer who was wounded during this incident and has a long recovery ahead. ... See MoreSee Less

1 week ago

Latest Tweets

Feed Them Social: TikTok Feed not loaded, please add your Access Token from the Gear Icon Tab.

Stirred Not Shaken

When it comes to my martinis, I prefer them to be shaken. When it comes to my emotions, I’ll take stirred over shaken anytime.

As I get older and continue to have experiences and learn about life, I find that certain things bother me more than they used to when I was younger. There are also plenty of things that bother me a lot less than they used to and the biggest influence, on whether something bothers me or less than it did before, seems to be by own perspective.

It is probably the same for you. While your perspective is likely to be different from mine, you have still developed over time and shaped it based on your own perceptions and experiences.

It stands to reason that if you gain experience on your job, what seemed like a big problem when you first started may now not even register on your list of worries. If you deal with a situation effectively, that same situation is not going to present the same level of concern to you the next time around.

Conversely, you may not have given much thought to your health as a kid or a young adult, but as you age it is natural to pay more attention to it and to even develop concerns that didn’t previously exist regarding an injury or an illness and your ability to recover from it.

I have also noticed that some of the things that bother me more have a cumulative effect. I have been shaken on enough occasions to know that I much prefer to be stirred.

I fully recognize that not all is right in the world and that there are things that I can personally do to try to improve myself and how I perceive and handle those things. I also take steps to ensure that whatever negatives I perceive and whatever issues there are that may upset me are kept in their proper place. In other words, I recognize the negatives, but I focus on the positives, which brings me back to the stirring of emotions.

It is also true that, the older I get, the more I find to be thought provoking, action motivating, and emotion stirring. These are the things that I try to focus on, so here is a partial list of the many things that move me.

Exceptional effort. No matter the vocation or the task at hand, if I witness someone putting forth an exceptional effort to clear a hurdle, defeat the bad guy, achieve an objective, or otherwise make a positive contribution, it stirs my emotions.

Genuine commitment. When I am aware of someone who has demonstrated that they have committed their personal resource and energy to a cause greater than themselves, it grabs my attention.

Invested parents. Parents who take their job seriously and devote themselves to creating and raising children who will grow up to be people who are great friends, neighbors, and citizens inspire me and instantly earn my respect.

Courtesy. A simple thank you for a kind gesture. Holding the door for someone. Being polite. Respecting others, especially those that are older than you. These are all great examples of courtesy and, unfortunately, examples of things that I see less and less of.

Fiscal responsibility. I very much appreciate those that have taken the time to get their financial house in order and then manage it effectively, whether it is an individual, a business, or other organization. Everything from your household to our world society runs better and more efficiently when people make good financial decisions and take that responsibility seriously.

Achievement. If you set goals and then set out to achieve them, you will be a better person. I, too, will be a better person because I will be able to simply focus on my tasks at hand without worrying about carrying your weight as well. When you do your part and I do mine, we’re both stronger.

There are many other things on my list, but I think you get the idea. I try to remember these things, especially when I am shaken by something that causes me concern or worry. When you are on the lookout for inspiration and your heart and mind are open to being stirred, you will always be better suited to absorb and effectively handle the moments that shake you.

What types of things stir you and when was the last time you thought about something meaningful or took action toward something important? If it has been awhile, you may want to consider drawing up a new list or paying a little more attention to what is going on around you.

In the meantime, I’ve got emotions to stir and a martini to shake!

Scott Arney