The Man Who Knew Too Little

Facebook

Comments Box SVG iconsUsed for the like, share, comment, and reaction icons
Cover for National Police Credit Union
NEW EPISODE: Home Inspection Failures

The Mortgage Beat is live with an all-new episode featuring John Aretos, CEO, Police Mortgage, created For First Responders Who Are Second to None!
To hear the episode, please visit: https://policemortgage.com/mortgage-beat-episodes/.

#PoliceMortgage #Mortgage #FirstResponders #LawEnforcement #EverybodyGoesHomeLetsGetHomeTogether

NEW EPISODE: Home Inspection Failures

To hear the episode, please visit: policemortgage.com/mortgage-beat-episodes/.

#PoliceMortgage #mortgage #firstresponders #lawenforcement #everybodygoeshomeletsgethometogether
... See MoreSee Less

17 hours ago
Thank you for 26 years of service!! Enjoy your retirement!!
#HeroImage attachment

Thank you for 26 years of service!! Enjoy your retirement!!
#Hero
... See MoreSee Less

2 days ago
Congratulations and thank you both, K9 Loki Officer Schmidt-Quist! Stay safe!

Congratulations and thank you both, K9 Loki Officer Schmidt-Quist! Stay safe!The Racine Police Department would like to officially welcome K9 Loki and his handler Officer Justin Schmidt-Quist. Officer Schmidt-Quist has served with the Racine Police Department for almost 13 years. Loki is a two and a half year old Belgian Malinois. We would also like to thank S.O.L.E for their donation to purchase Loki. ... See MoreSee Less

2 days ago
Congratulations!! All the best to you both, Officer Glaum! Stay safe!

Congratulations!! All the best to you both, Officer Glaum! Stay safe!The KPD would like to welcome the newest member to the Canine Unit. After two full days of extensive testing, this 14-month-old male Belgian Malinois was selected to join the team. Officer Glaum and this pup will begin their 10-week training at the end of March. Thanks to a sizable donation from a benefit held by the Starlite Club, their team has naming rights to this very handsome boy. If you are interested in donating to the canine unit, naming our next canine, or learning more about the canine unit please contact Lt. Jurgens. We look forward to watching this team develop and progress. ... See MoreSee Less

2 days ago
Congratulations! Thank you. Stay safe!Image attachmentImage attachment+1Image attachment

Congratulations! Thank you. Stay safe! ... See MoreSee Less

2 days ago
Congratulations and thank you!
#Hero

Congratulations and thank you!
#HeroRepresentatives from KidsMatter and the Collaborative Youth Team stopped by the PD earlier this week to present a Kindness Award to one of our officers! Officer Maulding was nominated by a coworker for his extraordinary acts of kindness towards an elderly resident who was struggling after her closest family moved out of state. We are so proud of the extra mile he's gone for this resident and are very grateful that his kindness has been recognized. #kindnesscounts2us
... See MoreSee Less

2 days ago

The Credit Union is honored to welcome the Whiting Police Department (Indiana) into our field of membership. We look forward to serving you and your families. ... See MoreSee Less

4 days ago
Thank you for 23+ years of service!
#Hero

Thank you for 23+ years of service!
#HeroMaster Patrol Officer Stanbery retired from the Stillwater Police Department on January 31, 2024. He served the citizens of Stillwater for 23+ years. He worked as a patrol officer, field training officer, Detective with our Special Projects Unit, Special Operations Teams, Honor Guard, and an investigator with the Drug Task Force. Thank you Master Patrol Officer Stanbery!

#SWO
... See MoreSee Less

4 days ago
Rest in Peace, K9 Kex. We will Never Forget.Image attachmentImage attachment+4Image attachment

Rest in Peace, K9 Kex. We will Never Forget. ... See MoreSee Less

4 days ago
Rest in Peace, K9 Lun and K9 Max. We will Never Forget.Image attachment

Rest in Peace, K9 Lun and K9 Max. We will Never Forget. ... See MoreSee Less

4 days ago
Congratulation! Thank you! Stay safe!Image attachmentImage attachment+1Image attachment

Congratulation! Thank you! Stay safe! ... See MoreSee Less

4 days ago

Division President Jim Bedinger and Vice President Jorge Mendoza are honored to be attending the National FOP’s Leadership Matters, which is being held in Nashville, TN, from February 22 - 24, 2024. ... See MoreSee Less

5 days ago
Great picture!! Congratulations and thank you! Stay safe!

Great picture!! Congratulations and thank you! Stay safe!PPPD is beaming with pride today for long time, former PPPD Cadet & new Orland Park Police Officer Jacquelyn Skender, who was sworn in alongside her mother.

Jackie we are so very very proud of you!!! PPPD's Cadet program is comprised of young people who learn about police-community partnership and provide auxiliary resources in support of policing activities. We often learn more from them, then they from us. It is truly inspiring to support and watch the future leaders of public service excel.
... See MoreSee Less

6 days ago

The Credit Union is honored to welcome the New Franklin Police Department (Ohio) into our field of membership. We look forward to serving you and your families. ... See MoreSee Less

7 days ago
NEW EPISODE: Home Inspections

NEW EPISODE: Home Inspections

To hear the episode, please visit: policemortgage.com/mortgage-beat-episodes/.

... See MoreSee Less

1 week ago
Congratulations! Thank you!

Congratulations! Thank you!008th District officers accepting an appreciation award from our community partners at Sanad Social Services. We appreciate you too! ... See MoreSee Less

1 week ago
We will Never Forget.

We will Never Forget.Members of our OCSO Honor Guard were on hand today to pay our agency’s final respects to 26 year old Florida Highway Patrol Trooper Zachary Fink. He lost his life February 2nd in Port St Lucie during pursuit of a fleeing felon on Interstate 95. Rest in Peace Trooper Fink. 🙏 ... See MoreSee Less

1 week ago
Happy birthday🐾💙!!

Happy birthday🐾💙!!Woodbury City Police Department- NJ. K9 is celebrating birthday. ... See MoreSee Less

1 week ago
We will Never Forget.
#HeroImage attachmentImage attachment+4Image attachment

We will Never Forget.
#Hero
... See MoreSee Less

1 week ago
Our thoughts and prayers are with the Law Enforcement community.

Our thoughts and prayers are with the Law Enforcement community.The Boston Police Department extend our deepest condolences to the family, friends and colleagues of Officer Paul Elmstrand, and Officer Matthew Ruge of the Burnsville Police Department in Minnesota and Firefighter/Paramedic Adam Finseth of the Burnsville Fire Department in Minnesota, who were killed in the line of duty on Sunday, February 18, 2024, as well as another officer who was wounded during this incident and has a long recovery ahead. ... See MoreSee Less

1 week ago

Latest Tweets

Feed Them Social: TikTok Feed not loaded, please add your Access Token from the Gear Icon Tab.

The Man Who Knew Too Little

This is both the title of a very funny, under-rated Bill Murray film made in 1997 and a contender for the title of my biography should it ever be written, which is very unlikely.

The Man Who Knew Too Little, the movie, is a spoof of The Man Who Knew Too Much, a Jimmy Stewart movie made in 1956.  In the original version, Jimmy Stewart plays a physician who decides to take matters into his own hands when assassins planning to execute a foreign diplomat kidnap his son.  In the spoof, Bill Murray is mistaken for a world class spy when he unwittingly stumbles upon a plot to assassinate world leaders.

I don’t want to spoil the respective endings for you if you have not seen these movies, but I will say that the outcomes are similar despite the vastly different and circuitous routes that were taken to achieve them.  This leads me back to the book.

The Man Who Knew Too Little, the biography that will never be written, is a direct reference to my wonderment at the immensity of life.  Despite spending a considerable amount of my time studying everything worth studying, from people to books to subjects to theories and virtually everything in between, I am amazed at how little I have actually learned compared to what I could potentially learn.  For me, this realization is both a blessing and a curse.

It is a blessing because it motivates me to keep learning and to be open minded as to what else is out there that I have yet to comprehend, let alone consider.  It is a curse because I often find myself feeling awkward in a new situation despite having spent so much time preparing contingency plans and thinking about how I might handle the unexpected should it arise.

Given the choice, however, I would rather be a man who knows too little than a man who knows too much…with a few key disclaimers.

I certainly don’t want to be the man who knew too little during a crisis or a time when others are relying on me to come through for them.

I absolutely don’t want to be the man who knew too little about his loved ones, friends, and colleagues.

I would never want to be the man who knew so little that he wasn’t able to recognize new opportunities or continue to evolve as a person.

That said, I think it is healthy to remember that there is always more you can learn.  For me, that knowledge helps to make me a better listener.  I have always been interested in people and in learning about their individual stories.  If I think that I can learn something from that person, I am even more interested in hearing what they have to say.

I have also found that I am less likely to jump to conclusions and much more likely to seek input and new ideas when I approach problem solving from the angle of gathering information and seeking knowledge.  When getting educated is my priority, I am a better decision maker because I tend to be more complete in my analysis and more thorough in my investigation of data that is pertinent to the decision I am contemplating.

As far being a man who knows too much is concerned, I only have one question.  Have you ever met one that you wanted to spend any time with whatsoever?

I continually determine that the more I know, the more I need to know, but my pursuit of knowledge often leaves me with a feeling that I am swimming against the tide.  Today, more than ever, people tend to find their version of knowledge in the places that are simplest to find.  A text or a tweet or a post becomes the new gospel regardless of the source or the validity and credibility of the statement contained within the text, tweet, or post.

Discussions, and therefore debates, are becoming less frequent and giving way to a much more casual form of interaction.  Just like raising your voice does not help a person who doesn’t speak your language to understand you any better, exchanging posts with people via social media does not and should not replicate the nature of person-to-person conversations.

Healthy debates take place when the participants understand enough about their own thoughts and ideas that they can articulate them with supporting evidence and reasoned logic.  Those same participants also care enough about each other that they take time to research each position to either better argue against it or find some common ground.

Sounds like a lot of work doesn’t it?  It is.  It’s no wonder, then, that so many people prefer to limit the extent of their engagement to an on-line post or a snap chat photo.  It is far easier, and it requires far less thought.  Eventually, meaningful explanations, valuable insight, and the overall quality of experience that we will gain from interacting with each other will either become extinct or suffer greatly.  The healthy debate will become a lost art.

If that occurs, we will all know too little, but we will each have taken a different route to reach the same outcome.  Some of us will know exactly how we got there and have done all that we could to minimize what we didn’t know.  Others will be mistaken for being experts, but unwittingly stumble toward the same result.

Either way, we all know too little.  The question is what are you going to do about it?

Scott Arney
Chief Executive Officer
Chicago Patrolmen’s Federal Credit Union

Don’t forget, members of the Credit Union enjoy free and confidential Credit Counseling and Financial Planning through our Financial Planning and Education Center. We are here to assist you every step of the way.